Our talents let us do things. Our values and principles help us decide what to do.
If we use our talents, directed by our values then we can make wise decisions in life - and be able to carry them out. We all try in life to do our best and do the right thing. Using our skills we can make our mark in life.
Through life we meet different people, situations and circumstances. These help make us the people we are today. We have our own our set of standards or principles that we live by (our values). Through them we can make a good and positive contribution to life. And we will be able to look back with pride on our endeavors and adventures in life.
Use your talents. Be person who values their virtues and lives by them. Hone your skills, develop and live by your principles. Be a person others can respect and admire. Be a person of integrity, loyalty and honesty.
If we research then the following type of listing is what we get:
- Academic in nature e.g. reading, reasoning
- Interpersonal skills e.g. communicating (talking and listening) verbally and otherwise, writing, reading
- Motor skills e.g. sports, crafts, the arts, walking
- Skilled tasks - our jobs and employment
- Innovation orientated skills
- Miscellaneous skills e.g. thinking, charisma, perception, persuasion, competence and the like
I shall be focusing on here the type of things listed in the Miscellaneous
grouping in the above listing. These are often strengths we have that
Moving onto values/core values/personal values what do we mean?
- we enjoy using but take for granted
- we have developed over time
- we might not consider as strengths but help us to live our lives
- enables us to enjoy our lives
- help us to make our lives an enjoyable and rewarding experience
What questions might you have?
- The principles that we live our live by
- The standards we set ourselves that we don't wish to cross
- The rules that help to support the lives we lead
- Some are personal and others are widely held
- Some are fundamental, others more of a social nature
- Most are important to us and help us manage our lives and live each day
What can you find here? What's in it for you?
- I get the gist of what you are talking about but could you give me a list of talents?
- How do I identify if I have a talent?
- Are you talking about human qualities?
- Will they help me maintain a healthy self esteem?
- Are these gifts and talents often hidden from view?
- Will they help maintain my motivation and direction?
- You talk about strengths, but could my weaknesses be useful too?
- I don't wish to waste my strengths, can you help me?
- When you talk about values will you explain more what you mean?
- Could you give me a list?
- Are you talking about morals, too?
- Can you help me develop my own personal values to live by?
- Will they help me maintain a good healthy self image?
- Will you be discussing virtues too?
- Will you list the virtues?
- How does morality and moral philosophy affect my personal values?
- Will you discuss ethics too?
- Does etiquette play a part?
- Can I learn the appropriate etiquette for different occasions?
- Will this help me live with confidence and set goals that I can achieve?
We will be looking at how (and why) talents and values have such an impact on our lives. We will look at the points raised by the questions in the last section. We will provide some answers and some background to these important issues. We will see how using these strengths and skills, supported by a strong value system, will help maintain a healthy self esteem
and thereby help you get the most out of your life.
Feel free to check out the following pages in your quest in understanding your talents, skills and values and the part they have to play in your life.
Life is entrusted to man as a treasure which must not be squandered, as a talent which must be used well. Pope John Paul II
Talents - take the time to uncover the treasure trove you have hidden away. We all have them, we just need to appreciate them and use them well.
Values - be conscious of what you do and how you live your life. Let your value system guide you through life.
Virtues - be a person of principle. Be of good virtue and show others the way to live a good life.
Etiquette is the watchword for courtesy, manners and propriety. Yet there is more to it - how we feel about, treat and respect both ourselves and others.
Ethics - is something you can use in life. Develop your own code and let it guide you through life. Be a principled person.
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke
To find out more about my free monthly newsletter called 'Balance in Life'
please click on the 'Balance in Life' newsletter page
'Balance in Life' is emailed direct to the Inbox of those who subscribe and includes exclusive new material
in each issue.
I hope I'll be able to send you a copy soon.
It's QUICK and EASY, sign up Here - you have nothing to lose!
This site is for information purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition.
Please use the information responsibly. If in any doubt consult a qualified medical professional.
Copyright© 2008-13. Self-Esteem-Enhances-Life.com. All Rights Reserved.